Most Chinese soup takes up a long time to make, most of the soups are to be cooked for hours but if you have never tried any kinds of Chinese soup, try to make this super easy winter melon soup that will only take you about 30 minutes!
The method of making was actually inspired by a friend’s mother, her mom taught her a few easy recipes so that she would survive in her 5 years of study in Toronto living in a dorm on her own!
what you need:
– 2 cans of chicken stock
– 3 pieces of imitation crab stick
– 8 shrimps
– 3 shiitake mushroom
– 2 dried scallops (soak to soften)
– 2 tbsp green peas
– 2 tbsp rice wine
– 1.2 kg winter melon
what to do:
1. Grate wintermelon into thin shreds, dice up shiitake mushroon, shred imitation crab stick, and slice shrimps sideways into halves
2. Heat up the pot in medium heat, add some oil and stir fry the mushroom a bit, add wine and slowly pour in the chicken stock
3. As soon as the chicken stock begins to boil, add shrimps, peas, soften dried scallops and grated winter melon. When it brings to a boil, cover the lid and rest for about 15 minutes.
p.s. shrimps and green peas can be easily overcooked, while grated winter melon can be easily melted into the boiling soup, so therefore all of these ingredients are recommended to add towards the end.